Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"Glass Ball and Gold Paper" Daily Painting

Original unframed oil on panel 6"x6"
©2008 Diana Moses Botkin

SOLD

Detailed study of iridescent glass Christmas ornament with crumpled gold tissue paper; realism with abstract qualities.
Several of my children tromped out in the snow last week to cut a tree. We have plenty of volunteer fir and spruce in our woods and it's good to thin them out a bit. I was thankful the kids helped get the Christmas tree up in the house, and decorated. I'd been too busy and not very motivated.

Now it's time to put everything away in the boxes for next year's Christmas. The iridescent glass balls are some of my favorite ornaments and I love seeing them every year. Their fragile loveliness is fascinating and makes me smile when I look at them.

This year I told myself I'd use one of them in a still life before they got packed away. So, here 'tis... This piece is a little different from most of my other work, but I hope you enjoy it.

Thank you for your comments and encouragement day after day. Looking back at all the work I've posted here makes me realize I'm still whacking away at my goal of a painting a day. It's been good to strive for this even though some days I didn't finish a piece. But many days I did, and usually managed several a week. Let's see what happens next year! Blest wishes for 2009 to you all!

7 comments:

Cooper Dragonette said...

Diana, All the best to you in 2009! Cooper

VickiRossArt said...

wonderful! I'm 'into' painting glass right now, too. It is such a challenge. See my martini glass here:
http://vickiandrandyrossart.blogspot.com/2008/12/new-thoughts-new-paintings.html

I'm having a real challenge photographing oils with their sheen. Any tips?

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Vicki. I agree; glass is indeed a challenge.

It's very fun (to me anyway) to try to paint something that's transparent and reflective. I look for what shows through, and those subtle reflections that help define the shape.

You're right that photographing oil paintings can be a challenge if they're shiny. If it's a small piece, I usually lay it face down on my flatbed scanner and get a digital file that way.

Sorry to say I can't see your martini glass, as the link you provided doesn't work for me. Bummer.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Diana!! Many blessings to you and your family in 2009!

Lovely glass ornament painting! I like the iridescent effect of the blues.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for the painting comments and your New Year's wishes. May 2009 be blessed for you and yours also!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for the New Year wishes, Cooper! For some reason, your comment didn't show up until a day later, so my response is totally out of order of comments received.

And Blest Wishes to you also for 2009! Happy painting.

Marian said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!