Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, January 13, 2014

My Article About Becky Joy Now Published

As with many of the articles I've written, this one was started months before the publication date. I'd been thinking about it awhile before then, as well. This is pretty much the way my brain works for writing projects or larger paintings. It takes time. A seed starts to grow from an idea and sprouts into something coherent. Then it must be watered and fed until it blooms.

If you are a subscriber to Professional Artist Magazine, I hope you are enjoying my piece about Becky Joy (on pages 34 -40). If you are not a subscriber, you can find the issue at newsstands or order at the website.

I first met Becky at the Oil Painters of America Western Regional Exhibit in 2011 and then got to know her better at the Pacific Northwest Plein Air event a few months later. Her career has really taken off and I wanted to write this piece to showcase how she used what she knew already to become the artist she wanted to be.

That's Becky Joy on the left, yours truly in the middle, and Celeste Bergin on the right: at the Pacific Northwest Plein Air reception, 2011. (photo, courtesy David Burbach Photography)

Becky is such an inspiration: she is a very hard worker who creates beautiful paintings. She's also a creative thinker for how to market her art, and herself as a teacher. She took part in my Challenge group for several months, so perhaps you remember her work from the Challenges at this blog. Here is her website if you'd like to check out her paintings or workshops.

8 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

Diana! How cool to come over here to your blog and see our photo together...! I will be sure to read your article about Becky Joy. She's so fun, so talented, so classy...the whole package (and knowing you, I know you found a way to describe her perfectly). Thanks for the mention in this post.... (and for crediting Dave for the photo too!) :)

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm so glad you popped over for a visit, Celeste. That was a fun moment in the photo, and I'm very glad Dave got the picture.

He's good at capturing the moment, and I think he is also the champion of stealth photography. Lots of times I've seen his pictures from the Hood River paint out and wondered how he managed to make himself invisible for the shot!

Jane Hunt said...

Can't wait to read it - I love Becky Joy's work!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I love Becky's paintings too, Jane. They are inspiring!

hmuxo said...

I'm looking forward to reading the article...Wonderful picture of the three of you!!!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Hilda. I hope you enjoy the piece.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Delighted to find out about Becky's art. They are truly wonderful. I enjoyed her website very much.
Nice to see Celeste in the pic - she is certainly one of my favorites.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm happy to know you saw that, Julie.

BTW, it was wonderful to see you recently! What a special treat to enjoy your paintings in person, and meet your hubby and some fellow artists, too.