Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Our August Challenge: White

Yes it's that time again! If you've only recently started following this blog, I'll explain.

Every month, several of my blog artist friends paint something new and different, and we unveil our creations on the 15th. The Challenge group members take turns choosing what we will portray. (You can see all the Challenges since the beginning at my blog sidebar.)

The idea is to have fun and do something we might not otherwise paint. This month it was Suzanne's turn to pick. 

(at left)
"Basic White"
Oil, 8"x6"
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

Please contact me if you would like to own this small study.

This oil sketch was painted with Titanium White, Mars Black, and Gamblin's Torrit Grey. I considered adding a little more color, but made the decision not to, and just let the tan primer show through for a little warmth.

I wanted to keep it simple and not put in too much (more on that idea in the coming days at this blog).

Most of my study was painted with a much larger bristle brush (size 8) than what I often use for small studies. Even at the end for the rough detail I used a size 4, which is pretty big for me. This felt somewhat clunky but forced me to simplify.

I was so tickled when Suzanne's and Vicki's paintings came to my Inbox yesterday. As we do these Challenges month after month, we do not see each other's work until the 14th when we email them to each other.

Turns out, Suzanne painted one of the ideas I had thought about doing for this Challenge: white eggs in a white bowl.

(left)
"Eggs 2"
Oil on heavyweight canvas
48"x36"
©2013 Suzanne Berry

I turned over a few other ideas, as well, which either required a model, or more time than I had after returning from my road trip. I hope I can get back to those ideas in the coming weeks after I've finished some commissions!

At left is Vicki's piece: a lovely creamy composition. 

"Study in White"
Pastel, 16" x 12" 
©2013 V.N.Ross 

6 comments:

Ruth Andre said...

Gamblin White never looked so good. I love this challenge and what each artist chose to paint. I also enjoyed hearing about your brush choices. Each painting has a story.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Ruth. We miss you with the Challenges!

suzanneberry said...

I love this Diana! Beautifully done and in such a short amount of time!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

One must do what one can. Now that I'm back home after my long road trip, I have so much to catch up on. So I was happy this little study came together quickly. I appreciate your encouragement, Suzanne!

VickiRossArt said...

I agree with Ruth about the choice of topic, Diana! Clever.

I'm also glad Ruth is still engaged in what we do every month. It's such a good experience!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm glad too, Vicki! Thanks for dropping by.