Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, March 15, 2013

March Painting Challenge "Ides of March"

"Ides of March of the Penguins"
Pastel on Canson 
9"x12" Unframed
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

They are Emperor Penguins, after all.

Vicki chose our subject for this month's Challenge: perfect for March 15th! However, I confess I was totally stumped when she announced the idea.

After some consideration and reading up on the associations of the day, some thoughts began to suggest themselves for images, but I wasn't excited about any of them. Then I remembered a visual pun my husband made a few years ago for our refrigerator gallery with a penguin in a toga. He often comes up with clever cartoons to amuse us: our own private Far Side at home. This sort of idea seemed a lot more fun than Julius Caesar's demise.

Vicki's painting portrays the cocktail invented in Canada that relates to the Ides of March, the Bloody Caesar, a blend of vodka, Clamato and some spicy additions. I love her still life she composed for this Challenge, along with her blog post about it. And Suzanne's storm clouds fit the forboding theme to "Beware the Ides of March" in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. I think all of us went outside the box for this one. It was indeed challenging!

(below left) "Bloody Caesar" 16"x12" Pastel on sanded board ©2013 V.N.Ross
(below right) "Storm's Comin'" 18"x18" oil on canvas ©2013 Suzanne Berry

 

12 comments:

Crystal Cook said...

I love those toga wearing penguins Diana. :))) Such a fun interpretation of the theme.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Three interesting paintings - each one different to represent the Ides of March. I like them all for completely different reasons, all based on ART. What talented ARTISTS all of you are.

suzanneberry said...

great idea and beautifully done diana! a joyful solution to this challenge!

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Hi Diana- there is a comment to already wrote for this floating around in cyberspace. Ifit pops up later delete it please.
I am persisting because I want you to know what a great painting this is...penguins in togas! What fun.
You made it special with the two having a conversation.(over on the right. )
I allow my imagination to go wild with that one.

Ruth Andre said...

Fabulous challenge and each painting is so fun to see. The marching penguins are darling. Did your husband also like the painting? Great job!

mary maxam said...

These are all so good, but I really like the fun and inspiration of these penquins!They're so charming!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, All, for your fun and encouraging remarks. I'm tickled this is such a hit. And yes, Ruth, my husband likes the painting (but he has to!).

This month's Challenge was certainly a stumper.... quite a challenge! It felt good to solve the puzzle and come up with something fun.

VickiRossArt said...

Well, duh! Just realized they are emperor penguins! I love paints with back stories!

Shirley Fachilla said...

I love your visual pun. What would more suitable to dress in a toga for the Ides than the very regal Emperor penquin!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I know, Vicki! It didn't hit me right away either, but then I did that slap thing on my forehead when I realized these little guys had it all worked out.

Shirley, thank you. I'm pleased this Challenge turned out to be fun for all.

hmuxo said...

Such a fun painting, Diana! Beautifully painted!!!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Hilda. It was quite the challenge and I'm pleased it's a hit after all the mental anguish and effort involved!