Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May Painting Challenge: Indigenous Trees

Our Challenge this month was named by Mary Maxam, who asked us to paint a tree from our area.

Although I have done this numerous times, I decided to paint an elongated vertical format painting for something a little different.

Near my house is this group of tall conifers. The Grand Fir on the right side of the painting is fascinating to me and I have painted it more than once. It's especially lovely with the late afternoon rosy light shining on it.

"Reaching for the Sky" 
Oil on hardboard
11.5"x6" 
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin


SOLD




(above
left) "Palo Verde Sunset" Oil 14"x18" ©2012 Becky Joy
(above
right) "West of Healing Springs" Oil on Linen Panel, 11x14" ©2012 Vicki Ross
(below ) "Dogwood" Oil on Ampersand panel, 8" x 10" ©2012 Mark Adams
 

6 comments:

Susan Roux said...

Lovely! I particularly love your sky...

Mark Adams said...

The light in this piece is gorgeous! I love the break in the clouds, too. You really caught the majestic feeling of these trees. The tall format was brilliant.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Susan and Mark. This was a fun scene to attempt.

hmuxo said...

I love "Reaching for the Sky"...its a beautiful piece. love the beautiful clouds...

Marietjie said...

Wow I like the light coming through the trees

suzanneberry said...

an outstanding job diana! i wish had taken part in this challenge, i love the idea and everyone did such amazing work. i'll be back next month for sure. beautifully done.