Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

June Painting Challenge: Sheet, Favorite Blanket, Scarf or Shawl

This month's challenge was chosen by Suzanne Berry. I actually had started a much different painting last week for this idea but changed my mind about it at the last minute and set this one up instead.

The little quilt is something I made years ago. I started it when I was pregnant with my first child, sewing together the pieces by hand on occasional car trips. I think I finally finished it during pregnancy number three and hung it over the edge of the baby crib. I dug it out of storage recently in anticipation of our first grandchild being born.
The vintage dolly is one I had as a kid long ago. After receiving the expensive toy, I promptly gave her a haircut, effectively ruining any collector value. She was loved, though, and I made little outfits for her by hand as a child from scrap material.

If you're wondering who Chloë is, she is my brand new granddaughter. Our family is very blessed and we give thanks for a safe delivery.
"Waiting for Chloë"
8x10" Oil on hardboard
©2010
Diana Moses Botkin

Our monthly painting group membership is now a cozy array of five. Here are the varied and imaginative pieces which the other four created in response to our June Challenge.



(above left) "Pillowcase" 18x18" Oil on canvas ©2010 Suzanne Berry
(above right) "Saturday Chores" 6x6" Oil on panel ©2010 Robin Cheers



(above left) "Le Drape" 9x12" Oil on panel ©2010 Vicki Ross(above right) "Lily of the Valley with Lace Table Scarf " 12x12" Oil on panel ©2010 Jeanne Illenye

4 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

This piece is just gorgeous! It is made even more special knowing the history behind both the quilt and the dolly. Fabulous work, Diana!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I love the different 'takes' on a challenge subject. These are fabulous.

suzanneberry said...

Diana, this is just precious and so touching, because she really is waiting for Chloe! I absolutely love the palate, perfect. Another amazing creation.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

It's very fun to read your remarks this morning. Thank you for dropping by and leaving comments.

Suzanne: I'm so glad you chose this subject! Who knows how long I would've gone otherwise before putting these things together in a still life.