Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, January 2, 2009

"Glass with Cherry" Daily Painting

Original, unframed oil painting 7"x5",  
Maraschino cherry in cocktail glass in detailed realism.
©2009 Diana Moses Botkin


More glass. I like working with it as a subject. It's so subtle when it's thin like in the bowl of the glass here. When it's thicker, it's more translucent than transparent, and picks up the light in unexpected ways.

This little painting brought good exercise to my painting muscles; the contrast of simplicity and detail, the limited colors, the lost edges paired with the sharp reflections, those pesky ellipses, and that red cherry almost smack dab in the middle of the composition.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Diana. Elegant. Exquisite. A true gem.

Catherine

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for dropping by, Catherine. I'm glad the painting came off as intended. I'd hoped that the black background with the delicate glass reflections and red accent would have a chic look, so it's good to read your comments!

Art By Erika said...

Diana the successful simplicity of this piece is what got my attention. That is above your very apparent excellent drawing skills and sense of space, and colors, and atmosphere - oh I can keep going! I can name the tune in 4 words! - You are a master!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Wow, Erika... I hope my head doesn't swell too much. Thank you for the very kind praise of my work!