Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

"Red Onion in Bowl" Still Life Daily Painting

Original oil painting on panel, 5"x7"
Red onion in white bowl on red background, painted from life

I painted most of this yesterday for a live demo at our Art Faire at Naples Gallery. Today I looked at the painting and noticed the elipse of the bowl wasn't quite right so I worked on it a little more and also added a few other touches. Those pesky elipses are awfully hard to get just so!

The lighting
where I was showing my little paintings on the covered porch at the gallery was interesting. I had a reflector and bulb hung over my work space which lent a warm glow and made those nice yellow tones on the bottom of the bowl. The bluer outdoor light reflected off part of the onion and bowl, as well, making for some lively contrasts.

©2008 Diana Moses Botkin

6 comments:

pattrsnd said...

Wonderful painting Diana...I love the loose look of this!

David

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, David... I'm enjoying loosening a bit up in my painting.

I think as my close vision continues to digress it will get easier and easier!

Dianne Mize said...

Lovely, Diana. Looks as if it flowed right out of your fingertips.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm tickled you think so, Dianne. It's great when A painting either seems to paint itself, or at least looks like it was easy!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this! Great technique!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for saying so, Rebecca. I appreciate that!