Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, November 15, 2013

Moses Botkin Challenge for November: Shellfish

"Morsel"
Original oil painting
on hardboard, 4"x6"
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

Suzanne chose our subject this month and I must admit: I was not pleased. This turned out to be rather fun, however, and it definitely was not something I would have chosen to paint, otherwise.

The tropical color combination in this little painting was especially enjoyable to work with. The pink shrimp reminded me of a flower, set against those green lettuce leaves and that bright cobalt blue plate.

Which was a lot more pleasant to think about than a headless crustacean with a few salad greens.


Did you know shellfish are not fish at all? They are actually more closely related to insects.

I hope you enjoy each of our studies this month. It's interesting that each of us picked a different critter to paint.

(left) "Moody"
Oil on linen, 16"x16"
©2013 Suzanne Berry 

None of us reveal our plan for our Challenge painting ahead of time, although we all know what the subject is. It's quite fun to see what each of us has created, month by month, to meet the goal of the particular puzzler.
We send our paintings to each other the day before we post them on our blogs and it always makes my day.

(left)
"Pick Me...Not!"
Encaustic, 7.5" x 7.5" 
©2013 V. N. Ross 

6 comments:

Jane Hunt said...

Not an easy challenge - you all did a great job!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Jane. It turned out to be a lot more fun than I first thought it would be. It did take me awhile to figure out WHICH shellfish I might do, find some to get as models and then figure out an interesting set up.

VickiRossArt said...

Your painting makes me hungry! The entire time I worked on this I kept being reminded of how spidery cheek fish are! Sure tast good, tho.

suzanneberry said...

LOVE your morsel Diana! beautifully done!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Vicki and Suzanne, thanks so much for dropping by here after our hard work on this one. I'm so glad we're in this together!

hmuxo said...

Very nice painting, Diana...It does look like a fun challenge!