Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

More Thoughts on Pencil Drawing


(left) "Bright Light"
Original pencil drawing on paper
approx. 11.5"x8.5"
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin
 
Fairly tight realism is the m.o. for many pencil drawings: pretty much the opposite of how I've been wanting to paint with looser brushwork and thicker paint! So... I've really switched gears to do these drawings.

Although it's been awhile, I'm well-acquainted with doing detailed drawings, especially with pen and ink.

Using pencil feels similar, especially when working in layers and cross-hatching. It's quite familiar to me and comforting in a way (except for the neck and hand strain from working with small tight strokes for many hours bent over a drawing!).

(second image) "Stretch Up"
Original pencil drawing on paper
approx. 11.5"x7.5"
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

Pencil as a drawing medium can be quite tedious and time-consuming, especially if detail and subtle shading are desired. Developing images can really eat up the hours.

Although it can be used for fast sketches, it is better suited for more finished, careful drawings. Not everyone is cut out for the tight technique, or wants to use it. For artists who like quick results, using this medium can seem like an endless process.

It's certainly not what I typically like to use for quick studies. However, if an artist doesn't mind working slowly and putting in the time, it's perfect for doing detailed drawings and for tight realism in black and white.

(third image) "Elongate"
Original pencil drawing on paper
approx. 11.5"x7"
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

One has to also not mind being careful because there are several factors which can ruin drawings such as skin oils or unexpected results with shading, blending or smudging. Or dropping a pencil on a drawing, leaving a mark in a place where it's not wanted.

(last image) "Confident Outlook"
Original pencil drawing on paper
approx. 11.5"x8"
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

Using pencil as a drawing tool is about as simple as it gets for making art: some paper, a few pencils, a kneaded eraser and possibly a paper stump and you're set. No need to worry about color, or wet paint.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Very glad I got to see your drawings - I am using pencil in my Wednesday life sessions and find it takes me toward realism in a way I don't do with paint. I value it for the opportunity to develop my drawing skills and my ability to see what is in front of me. Your drawings are lovely.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

That's interesting, Susan! Drawing with pencil feels very different to me also, from using paint. It seems paint would be a lot faster.