Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Few More Pencil Drawings

 

(left)
"Changing"
Original pencil drawing on paper
approx.11.5"x8.5" 
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin


I've pretty much settled on the pencil techniques and methods I want to use for my big drawing I'm creating for a client. I like developing the detail in the figure using various hardness grades of pencils and prefer a vellum finish paper. I need to make a smooth gradated grey for the background. I think the background is going to be quite time consuming as it has to be built up. 

I promise I'll tell you more about it when the project is all done! For now, I hope you'll enjoy these additional practice pieces.


 (second image)
"Graceful Back"
Original pencil drawing on paper, 11.5"x8.5" 
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

Using pencil as a drawing tool is about as simple as it gets for making art: some paper, a few pencils, a kneaded eraser and possibly a paper stump and you're good to go. No need to worry about mixing color, or dealing with wet paint if you're out and about.

Please stayed tuned for more thoughts on the challenges of working in pencil. And speaking of challenges, it's almost time for another subject for my Challenge Group to post. Look for it Monday on the 15th!


(last image, at left)
"Considering"
Original pencil drawing on paper, 11"x8.5"
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

2 comments:

Ruth Andre said...

These drawings are really lovely and sensitive.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Ruth. I am enjoying the medium more even though it is slow.... just had to get my mind right.