Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Figurative Art for the Bath

(left) "Arm Shadow"
Charcoal and pastel
with acrylic coating, 7"x5"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin


SOLD

I've been working on that large nude figurative commission for my client's bathroom.

It's been a bit of a challenge to find the right materials for this piece and develop a suitable drawing surface, then add some kind of appropriate coating to protect the original charcoal drawing without framing and glass.

(second drawing at left) 
"Light Dance"
Charcoal and pastel
with acrylic coating, 7"x5"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin

SOLD

I do like a challenge, so it's been an interesting process to experiment a bit for this. I wanted to get familiar with my new materials and the technique I needed to use for the collector's large custom drawing so I decided I should do some smaller pieces first.

(third drawing at left)
"Morning Stretch"
Charcoal and pastel
with acrylic coating, 10"x8"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin

SOLD

After some mess-ups and unsuccessful color/surface applications, I did several keepers, which will fit right into an upcoming solo show I'm hanging soon. (I'll post about it in a week or so and tell you a little more about it.)

It's good to be doing some figurative work again. I felt quite disoriented back home in my studio space after working outdoors doing landscapes at the plein air events at the end of the summer.

(fourth drawing, left)
"Bathing Pose"
Charcoal and pastel
with acrylic coating, 10"x8"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin

I like this drawing technique and am getting used to the new materials. I'm feeling less clumsy with it, finding out how it behaves, learning what to watch out for and prevent as I work.

It is not as forgiving as a nice soft cotton charcoal paper with a laid finish, but it's workable, and allows me to do original drawings that can enjoyed in the bathroom environment. Nudes seem an obvious choice for art in the bathing area.

Please contact me if you'd like to purchase these or commission a similar large work for your own bathroom or spa.

2 comments:

Gerald Schwartz said...

Very nicely done Diana. It looks to me, that you have a real feel for the medium. I look forward to seeing more.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

It's nice to hear from you, Gerald! Thank you for your kind comment. Drawing is like comfort food to me... a return to basics when other projects are stressful and difficult.