Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Awards at the Palouse PaintOut Show

I happily participated in another plein air event September 30 through October 2. This one was in Moscow, Idaho, in the heart of the Palouse... very different geography from where I painted last week.

The Lord gave us amazing weather to paint outdoors: clear, colorful and warm. I managed to make four decent paintings and entered three of them in the event exhibit on Saturday. It is always quite amazing to see the volume of beautiful work from the different plein air painters at shows like this. To think that only a few days earlier, none of the paintings even existed!

(left) "Clear Palouse Afternoon"
Oil 10x10"
©2010 Diana Moses Botkin


This took more than one day to paint, but since the weather was consistantly clear, it worked to revisit the same spot the next day at the same hour. The painting was voted by fellow artists at the show for the Artists' Choice award. (And no, I didn't vote for my own work.)

My personal favorite was by Jared Shear, who was painting in the same location where I was working on this piece, along with two other artists. We artists often work alone, so it is especially nice to be able to paint in close proximity to others, especially those whose work we admire. I love seeing the different approaches to the same scene.

(left) "Purple Palouse Morning" Oil 4x6"
©2010 Diana Moses Botkin

SOLD

This little jewel was chosen by the judge for a second place award in the show which included a generous purchase from the City of Moscow.
It is especially nice for me that my work will be enjoyed in a permanent public setting.

6 comments:

LensVerse said...

Congratulations on the award, Diana. Well-deserved!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Juan. One never knows what any particular judge will like, but it's always nice to get kudos for one's work, and I felt especially honored from the Artists' Choice award.

Helen Read said...

Yes, congratulations. Love the Clear Palouse Afternoon!! Great colors, and such interesting composition!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Helen, thank you! Those are just about my favorite colors to paint. I'm pleased that my 2-day struggle with this piece resulted in something bright and lovely. Not all paintings have a happy ending.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

congratulations Diana.
They are both beautiful. The top one is my favorite.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

If that doesn't sell in the show, I see a couple of things I want to fix! Doing the fast plein air work and then having to get the pieces ready for the show right away doesn't give one much time to critique the work.