Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Our May Painting Challenge: "Pig Party"! Legos Crashed My Party.

This month's Challenge subject, "Pig Party", was picked by group member Mike Beeman. I confess when he sent out the notice in April of what we'd be working with, I was at a loss for what to paint.

As the days went by I thought up several plans for paintings, none of which I developed very much.
When I broke my ankle I started thinking about this idea instead. Those toy figures wanted to part of the painting again too!

So, here is my piece on the left. I had a blast with it and it definitely was a challenge!

(left)

"Piggie Party of Five"
4"x6"
Original unframed oil on panel
©2009
Diana Moses Botkin
SOLD


And here are the rest of the Challenge Group's paintings.

Each artist put their own twist on the "Pig Party" subject. I love it that they are each so different and unique.

Aren't they wonderful!?


(left above) "Party Ears" 12"x7" Original oil on panel ©2009 Vicki Ross
(right above) "Pig Party" 14"x11" Original oil on canvas ©2009 Silvina Day


(left)
"Swine Barrel" 5"x7"
Original Pastel
on Canson Paper
©2009 Mike Beeman





(left) "Hog Wild" 5"x7"
Original oil on panel ©2009 Robin Cheers

(right) "Piggy Bank Picnic" 6"x6"
Original oil on canvas ©2009 Marie Fox

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diana,
Though this subject was unusual it was a blast to paint!
I hope your ankle is healing quickly.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Silvina! I got stitches out and x-rays the other day... all looks good. 1 1/2 more weeks and I can start putting weight on it.

This WAS a lot of fun to paint. Your piece makes me think you did indeed enjoy yourself!

VickiRossArt said...

Diana...get out the 4" heels...you can walk in 1.5 more weeks...!!!!

and I want to see you back on that bike soon after.

We have a good friend who was riding his super-fabulous-expensive custom bike who crashed when a dog ran out as Michael was going down a hill at 35 mph or so. SIX cracked ribs, ONE punctured lung, 3 days in intensive care...

SO, YOU ARE LUCKY!!! And I suspect he will be back on a new bike ASAP.

and me? I'm at my easel, safely, carefully, not eating pigment.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Well, Vicki, it might be a bit longer for actually walking, especially in heels. Starting to put weight on it soon is not the same as walking on it. It's going to take a little while to get the muscles back in shape.

Crashing at 35 mph on a bicycle sounds very painful. Yikes. I hope Michael is doing okay now.

Yes, I don't think I've ever injured myself at the easel either! I have, however, dropped the x-acto knife a few times and accidentally stabbed myself when I was doing the commercial art decades ago.

Marie Fox said...

Hi Diana - What a fanciful painting this is! and a great play on the word "pig". Love those little figures that often inhabit your paintings. A verty playful painting. Marie

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Marie. I did have a lot of fun trying to figure out what to paint. And yes, those little guys just won't give up on being in my Challenge paintings!

I think we all enjoyed this one, as hard as it was initially. Thank you for being a part of my Challenge group!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

just cracked me up. I remembered, instantly that you broke your ankle.
Well, you really do know how to make lemonade, Diana. Brilliant on the theme!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Mary.... no charge for the laughs! Laughter is such a good gift, isn't it!?

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

A very clever design with your foot painting and as usual well painted.

Leah Lipszyc said...

Yours is the best take! lol!

I came to your blog through another one; my mother was an artist in NJ - Diana Mandel.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Bill, thank you for the kind words!

Leah, I appreciate you dropping by and hope to hear more from you soon.