Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"Winter Light on Willows" Daily Painting

Original, unframed oil painting, 5"x7".
Sunset light on the frozen lake and willow trees.

©2009 Diana Moses Botkin


Contact to purchase.

It was a bitter cold evening at the beach last week by the lake with the freezing wind coming off the water.

I had driven over before the model session to see if the light would be good. The green sky and reflections on the icy water seemed other-worldly contrasted with the orange sunset color on the willow trees and compelled me to paint the scene.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Diana, I love this little painting. It's so harmonious.

Jerry Hardesty

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Nice of you to say so, Jerry. Colors and composition do help make this little study feel very peaceful.

Michelle said...

Very beautiful Diana! Nice warm lights on the trees in contrast to rest of the landscape.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Michelle. That rosy warm light in the evenings here is often my motivation and inspiration for painting!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful painting. I like that you mention the "green sky". Only artists can see green skies, I think. That's because whenever I tell my non-artist friends about green skies, they look at me with curious looks. Blessings.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Jonathan; thank you for your kind encouragement and comments.

Perhaps even some artists don't believe green skies exist. Once when I was at a well-known, famous and award-winning artist's workshop, he instructed the class to keep greens and yellows out of the sky color.

He may have simply meant for that particular day's sky in the Tetons (which was indeed very blue and required only ultramarine and white). In fact, his supply list included no thalo blue or green colours.

I've thought of his comment many times as I've noticed green colors in our sunset light here in north Idaho.

My husband and children are quite observant and also notice green skies, so perhaps it's just a perception many folks have, that sky is supposed to be blue.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I can feel the cold!
Great color temperature.
Of course there are green skies. Depends on the light. One of my favorites is a bright yellow sky in late November, say, late in the afternoon. Above it, dark New England clouds making a glowing contrast. It makes the land mass very dark purple/brown. Amazing.
I'm disappointed me when award winning famous artists make those kinds of statements :(

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for dropping by, Mary. Yes those statements are confusing, at best. I should have asked questions at the time to clarify what he meant.