Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

February Challenge: Converse Basketball Shoes

Those of you who have been following this blog awhile probably recall that I've asked several other blog artists to join me in a monthly online painting Challenge group.

We take turns month by month picking out what we'll paint. The idea is to challenge ourselves and have fun. (Past Challenges are at my sidebar if you've only recently been watching this blog and want to catch up.)

It was my turn to pick what to paint this month, so I chose Converse as a subject. I've been meaning to portray these reminders of my children's days at play for some time. These shabby little family treasures have been sitting in my studio for months waiting to be the subject of a still life painting.

They've been handed down several times from one child to the next. Although several other pairs of better looking Converse shoes are in the house, these have more stories to tell.

(left)
"Well Worn"
Original oil 5"x7"
unframed
©2011 Diana Moses Botkin


I dearly love what everyone painted this month: such colorful and charming ideas for our simple subject.


(left above) "Always Untied" 6"x6" Oil on panel ©2011 Robin Cheers(center above) “Just Hanging Out” 6x6” Oil on hardboard ©2011 Sharman Owings(right above) "Converse Reds" 6"x6" Oil on canvas ©2011 Ruth Andre


(left) "Big Red" 24"x24" Oil on canvas ©2011 Suzanne Berry
(right) "Satin Chucks" 9"x12" Oil on panel ©2011 Vicki Ross

6 comments:

suzanneberry said...

diana, i love the jean like blue of these. they look as if they have an amazing history. beautifully done, as always! great idea, i had so much fun with this challenge!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I loved your choice of shoes, as well. The red really pops and is so cheery... such a different feeling than the nostalgic little worn-out shoes my kids wore.

Ruth Andre said...

Diana this has been such a great challenge. Your "Basketball Shoes" painting shows true affection. I love the composition and the color is divine.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

It was so fun to see what all the group did with the same subject... some similarities but each so unique. I especially like the different colors and positions chosen.

I'm glad my fondness for these little shoes came through in the painting.

How does that work, anyway?!

JEANNE ILLENYE said...

Great nostalgic theme! I didn't recall seeing them all in the DP mailer but when I saw three of the same subject I knew it must be a "challenge". Such fun!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you for dropping by, Jeanne! We did have a lot of fun with this one. It was a great excuse to paint these little treasures.