Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Refraction" Still Life/Landscape Daily Painting

Original oil painting
7"x5" in museum style gold frame
©2009 Diana Moses Botkin

 
How many times do we see something but not really look at it? I first noticed this glowing phenomenon a couple of years ago, although I'd no doubt seen it before and simply not paid attention to what I was seeing.

Perhaps you're way ahead of me and have observed this a million times. Others certainly have. (Senaca the Younger wrote about it in Rome before Christ.)

I was fascinated by how the wine glass concentrated the light and revealed the surrounding landscape in a glowing topsy turvy microcosm; the glass acting as a lens. This has been one those ideas in the back of my mind that I've wanted to paint, so this is the week!

2 comments:

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

You mean it is possible to drink wine and observe stuff thru the glass? If I did that I would probably see my wife throwing something at me.

The glass is very well painted hear but what I really like is the beautiful warm trunk of that tree against the greens and against the sky. This is a very very nice painting.

Now I've got to have a wine to moderate my envy.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for the laughs, Bill. I can always use the serotonin. Thanks for the kudos, too.

However, you have no cause for envy. I've seen your work; plenty of very nice stuff.

Cheers.