Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Live Portrait Demo and Talk About my Art

"Kensington"
12.5"x10"
Charcoal and chalk on Canson paper

©2009 Diana Moses Botkin

This evening I gave a talk about my art for Chris Kraisler's North Idaho College art appreciation class.

Chris had been teaching her students about artists' media, so I brought a variety of supplies and finished art to show to the class (oils, pastels, block printing, charcoal). Then I did a live portrait demo using charcoal and chalk on rust colored paper (at left).

Chris put my website and blog pages up on the projector for the class to see. It was interesting to see these so large!

Conversation and interaction with the students was interesting, also. It was fun sharing art ideas with these kids. ("Kids" are anyone under the age of forty.)


2 comments:

VickiRossArt said...

Diana, your live work ROCKS! Wish I had a strong background in working from life. I am good at faking it...my very first live model was a nude male in France. I had never held a piece of charcoal in my hand, let alone had 3 minute poses! What an experience!

Since then, I've gotten somewhat proficient, just not with full body. Thanks for sharing!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you for your encouraging comments, Vicki. Looks like you're doing well working from life. Keep up the good work!