Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, October 30, 2015

Plein Air Painting at my Favorite Spot

(left) "Shining Evening"
Oil, 5"x9"
©2015 Diana Moses Botkin

It was a lovely afternoon during the first week of October, not too cold, with a promise of evening color. So I set out on the hour-plus drive to one of my favorite plein air spots. This place.

It looks quite different now from last year's more abundant water in the marshes.

In a small painting like this, I can set up the composition and lay in shapes in less than an hour. Lots of painters do that much more quickly.

So after the shapes are in, I can have fun with that glowing sky and the sparkling reflections in the water channels before the light disappears and the cold benumbs my body and mind.

At home, I set this piece on my easel. Then I see a couple of spots I want to tweak, just a little. They are the tiniest of corrections and adjustments. And the next day and the next... small steps to the finish line.

4 comments:

hmuxo said...

A beautiful landscape Diana! Hard to believe you put all these details in such a small canvas!! Nice work!! The best of luck with your exhibit...wish I can join you!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Crazy, I know. My husband asked me why I didn't just make this big. I explained that it's hard enough for me to get forms and colors painted on a small piece when the window of opportunity for that last light is so short. I've tried working larger for plein air, but I find it difficult to get enough paint down with the time crunch.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Gorgeous painting. Thanks for sharing your process.
I, too am establishing the plein air part of the painting slower. I thought it was because
I had leant NOT to rush it.
The harmony in this is really beautiful.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Oh how good to know I'm not alone! Thank you for dropping by here to give me those encouraging thoughts, Julie.