Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, February 2, 2015

Oil Sketch to a Painting Only Took Me a Year

Well, I didn't actually work on it all year. After I did the initial live study last January, I set it aside, wondering what to do with it.

The piece showed potential and I liked it even in the rough stage. But there wasn't enough there. So, months later I tackled it again, working from the limited information in a quick snap the model let me take at the time, which was mostly overexposed from the strong lighting.

The painting went through several changes, as sometimes happens.

It would've been a lot easier to have this model pose live for all the painting sessions, but that was not possible. So I did the best I could from memory and my vague photo reference.

The lean and muscular young man sat deep in thought as he posed and the visible ear looked like he had done some boxing. It was really just a mood as a sketch, but the added detail now contributes to the story. I still like the painting, and I'm happy I didn't ruin it.

(above left) "He Carries a Reminder" Oil on canvas, 10"x8"
©2014 Diana Moses Botkin


SOLD

No comments: