Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Charcoal and Chalk Portrait Study

"Hannah"
charcoal/chalk on cotton paper approx. 16x11" ©2014 Diana Moses Botkin


This study is a demo from a two-day portrait workshop I taught this past September at Artisans at Dahmen Barn in Washington.

I enjoy teaching this forgiving technique for capturing a fairly quick likeness, using charcoal and chalk on toned paper.

Hannah was one of the models for my class. She was a pleasure to draw with those expressive eyes and her loosely styled hair.

4 comments:

Marie Fox said...

Diana, I'm very impressed with your charcoal portraits. They're wonderfully animated with a strong sense of volume and light/dark. Really fabulous. Also: glad you enjoy my latest woman painting.

Celeste Bergin said...

a wonderful drawing!

mary maxam said...

wonderful portrait work Diana...lucky students to watch it all come together! Merry Christmas!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks so much, Marie, Celeste and Mary. Wishing you and yours blessings at Christmas and for 2015!