Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, December 15, 2014

Portrait Workshop Charcoal Demos

Last month I taught a portrait workshop in Oklahoma City at Geatches Studio. My demo sketch of our first model is shown at left and below, along with the demo sketch of another model.

I like to start the class showing how to look for shapes and build the form with darks first and then add the lights.

Charcoal and chalk on toned paper are ideal for quick studies and the medium is easy for making corrections. It's always fun to introduce this drawing technique, especially to those who have not yet tried it.

(left) "Anna" charcoal/chalk on cotton paper approx. 16x11" ©2014 Diana Moses Botkin
(right) "June" charcoal/chalk on cotton paper approx. 14x10" ©2014 Diana Moses Botkin

2 comments:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

It takes a lot of knowledge as well as skill to produce portraits of this level. They are really wonderful.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Julie, thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot, especially coming from you.