Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Moses Botkin June Challenge: Chiaroscuro

(left)"Theological Studies"
Original oil 5"x7"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin
SOLD

I've been traveling with family for a couple of weeks but managed to do this painting before I left.

I hope to get some new pieces done right away based on some of the beautiful spots I visited. Please stay tuned here at my blog in the coming weeks to see them.

Challenge group member Mark Adams picked our puzzler this month and named "Chiaroscuro" for us to paint. The study above is my response.

I love chiaroscuro effects and many of my favorite paintings are based on this lighting technique.
What fun interpretations of the theme everyone did this month! They are all so lovely and I hope you enjoy them.
(at left) "In the Pit" 7"x10" Oil on panel
©2012 Mark Adams
(right)
"Basque Dancer"
7"x9" Oil
©2012 Mary Maxam


(left)
"Josh & Jessie"
10"x16" Oil on Linen
©2012 V.N.Ross

10 comments:

VickiRossArt said...

Great painting, Diana! You seem to be able to do any kind of challenge...well... :) Its been a fun 2 years ...

hmuxo said...

I LOVE THIS ONE, Diana!!! I have always loved the chiaroscuro effect..Love how the portrait drifts into darkness. When I studied under Dan Slapo, he encouraged it. I loved Mary Maxam's Basque Dancer!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Vicki: Thank you for the very nice compliment! You have also risen to all the Challenges and done well with each one. I was thinking just the other day how much fun it has been, and how much I've learned, responding to the perameters each month.

Hilda: Thank you! The lost edges in this sort of lighting are quite fun, as you've observed.

mary maxam said...

Wonderful Diana... once again you captured the light and softness that typifies your enviable work!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you for the very kind remarks, which mean a lot, especially coming from you. Happy painting!

pattrsnd said...

Beautiful and touching painting, Diana! Love the light in this masterpiece!

Aquarell said...

Herrliche Motive hast Du in Deinem Blog. Du arbeitest auch meisterhaft mit Licht und Schatten. Kompliment.
Grüsse Dich
janina

Diana Moses Botkin said...

David: Thank you so much. Happy painting!

Janina: Vielen Dank für Ihre freundlichen Worte und für den Besuch meiner Blog.

shirley fachilla said...

Such a beautiful painting. I love the happy intensity of her gaze; such an expression seems the special province of children.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Shirley: thank you! I'm happy you dropped by here to leave a comment so I could check out your work too.