Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Evolution of "Festival Sunset Dance", Part 1

I told you I'd share about my process for my finished art for The Festival at Sandpoint.
These are the first two studies I did, using my references from the photo shoot with my young friends who danced and jumped in the evening light.
(left) "Sundown Dance"
Original oil on hardboard
10"x8" unframed

©2011 Diana Moses Botkin

SOLD
(left) "Afternoon Dance"
Original oil on hardboard
8"x6" unframed

©2011 Diana Moses Botkin

SOLD


I had envisioned dancers at sunset near Lake Pend Oreille in Sandpoint, which is the setting for The Festival.

The first study was pretty much what was in my mind but it seemed like too many dancers once I painted it. So, I tried another study with a smaller group of dancers and a simpler afternoon sky, with more focus on the dancers.
For the third study in the series, at left, I wanted to see how it would look with the jumping dancers.
(left)
"Jumpin' Jive"
Original oil on canvas
10"x8" unframed

©2011 Diana Moses Botkin


That title, by the way, is a reference to an amazing music and dance number in the 1943 movie, Stormy Weather. You can see the greatest pair of acrobatic tap dancers of their day (or perhaps any day), the Nicholas Brothers. Enjoy their athletic choreography, leaping and dancing over and through Cab Calloway's orchestra, at this link.

None felt quite right for The Festival art, although they were fun paintings. Stay tuned to see where I went next with my idea.

By the way, these studies are for sale. Please contact me if you are interested in owning any of them.

2 comments:

suzanneberry said...

absolutely lovely diana!! can't wait to see the finished piece, these are both beautiful!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for the kudos, Suzanne. You can see the final art on yesterday's blog post and all about the unveiling on the one before that.

I didn't feel like I could show the studies before the unveiling happened last week because the art for The Festival is a secret until the unveiling happens. It's a big deal, and it WAS a lot of fun.