Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, July 15, 2011

July Painting Challenge: Eyes

I picked the Challenge this month. It's always fun (and a bit challenging) to name the subject or object the group will paint when it's my turn to choose.

We each take turns naming what we'll paint, month by month. It's supposed to be primarily for fun and give us each an opportunity to learn something and create work apart from the usual concerns of pleasing clients or entering shows.
Several things came to mind but I settled on "eyes" or "an eye" as the puzzler this time for several reasons. One reason was that I thought it would be fun/interesting and another was because a couple of the members mentioned last month when we did self-portraits for the Challenge... something about avoiding painting eyes.I had also been thinking about doing a different self-portrait than my burned-out one last month. This one is still intense (my mood lately) but not so absolutely ugly."Eye of the Storm"
Original oil on hardboard
5"x3.5" framed miniature
©2011 Diana Moses Botkin



I really love the approach taken by each member of my Challenge group. I hope you enjoy them all!(left)
"Brothers"
each, 8"x10"
Oil on canvas
©2011 Vicki Ross
(below left)
"Helen's Eyes"
12"x12"
Oil on canvas
©2011 Suzanne Berry

(this row, right)"Just Thinking About You"
4"x4" oil on canvas board
©2011 Ruth Andre
(bottom row, left)
“Lashing Out”
5x5” Oil on board
©2011 Sharman Owens

(bottom row, right)
"My Daughter's Eyes"
5"x7" oil on panel
©2011 Robin Cheers

9 comments:

Dar Presto said...

Everyone rose to the challenge. Awesome awesome awesome.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Dar. It is so fun to see each artist's unique vision for this Challenge, as always. But something about eyes makes this one even more intriguing.

shirley fachilla said...

Intense, beautiful, mysterious. These are the things I love to find in paintings in general, and I find them in spades in yours. A great idea for the challenge.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Shirley, thank you. And thanks also for dropping by so I could discover your own work, which is lovely!

Ruth Andre said...

Diana it was a great challenge. I especially like your painting. It is Very nice and the title makes me wonder?

suzanneberry said...

diana, this is my favorite this month! it's incredible!!! i love everything about it! bravo!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Ruth and Suzanne: thank you! I'm so glad we all got this one painted. I love them all!

Ruth... the title is a hint at my mood lately. I've simply had a little too much stress going on and not enough quiet time.

But it's better now that my big project is finished. I'm enjoying some time in the sun, catching up with my unrestrained weeds. It's good therapy, and I always appreciate the spiritual lessons in the garden.

hmuxo said...

What a wonderful challenge, Diana. I love them all. It's interesting to see so many techniques...love them all.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Hilda: I so agree! Thank you for dropping by and leaving your encouraging comments. Happy painting!