Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Limited Strokes Painting... Continued

(left)
"7 Stroke Apples"
Original oil on canvas
12"x4.5"
©2011 Diana Moses Botkin

Even though I dreaded the Challenge this month, I found it was actually an enjoyable warm-up exercise to count strokes... and make them count.

I had never actually seen anyone demonstrate this exercise with the limited brushstrokes and
had trouble visualizing how to actually do this.

I knew I was supposed to plan out my moves but
it took some hands-on efforts to get a feel for how to make it work.

Sometimes when you come upon new waters, you just have to jump in with both feet and get wet!

This exercise felt more natural after doing several. I'd like to get back to this warm-up regularly.

2 comments:

Jane Hunt said...

It's a great challenge - and exercise. I tend to just throw myself into a piece - I love your reminder to make each stroke count!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Indeed, Jane. It's an especially good thing to remember for quick studies and plein air painting. Messing around with wasted strokes IS counterproductive and I hope to cut to the chase more easily when I get better at this!