Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, February 15, 2008

"Candy, Shot Glass" Valentine Candy Still Life

Original small oil painting 6"x 4"
Dutch style detailed glass with candy in gold wrapper against burgundy velvet.

©2008 Diana Moses Botkin


SOLD

The shiny, reflective vintage glass on red velvet, and the gold wrapped Valentine candy made an interesting painting challenge. I found this old glass in my cupboard and looked around in the pantry to see what kind of liquor we had on hand. Then I thought it might be more interesting to see the glass empty.

When I put it under the lights, I noticed the little candies from yesterday's set-up nearby and decided to paint them together. I'm still trying to figure out if the glass is half empty or half full

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's half full, Diana! Always half full!

Gorgeous rendition of red velvet.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Yes, you're right. And even when it's empty, it can be still be full of grace.

Thanks, Silvi. The red velvet is pleasurable to paint. Contours, reflected and absorbed light all make it interesting... pretty cool for a piece of fabric.