Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, May 17, 2013

A Crossing of Paths

On my way to Italy in March, I had a layover at the Paris airport while waiting for my last little jaunt to Florence. Charles de Gaulle terminals are busy places, and I was tired after my overseas flight.

My husband and I happened to be on different commuter flights for that last part of our journey and he had already departed. Not wanting to fall asleep and miss my connection, I dug out my trip journal and made a few notes.

People came and went from surrounding seats in the waiting area, but the two gentlemen across the aisle stayed put.

Picturesque by the mere contrast of their sizes, I was intrigued from the first glance and decided to make a quick study with the pen I'd been using to write with.

Both men were quite engrossed in their conversation and seemed oblivious to the busy comings and goings around them. They did, however, apparently notice me looking at them after a few minutes, and ask me something in a foreign language. Russian, perhaps?

I showed them my very rough gesture sketch, pointed to myself and said "artiste". We introduced ourselves and a young man nearby explained to me in English that they were a Russian group on tour. I thought he said they were a group of Russian artists going to a show, and I got his email address.

Back home I wrote the young man and received an answer a few weeks later. Turns out, they were music artists on tour. Ever hear of the Russian Red Army Choir? I have because my husband happens to like some of their YouTube performances.

It turns out that Grigoriy, the gentleman on the left side of my little sketch, is a solo singer with a wonderful deep voice who performs with the army choir. Here is a video of him singing "Sixteen Tons"!

9 comments:

Helen K Beacham Fine Art said...

Diana! What serendipity! Great rendition of this fine singer! Thx for sharing!!! Will share with my readers for you!

Gloria E. Moses said...

What a voice, sometimes there are just those great happy coincidences.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks so much, Helen and Gloria. I appreciate you dropping by with your feedback. It means a lot to me.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Wonderful sketch and a great story to go with it!

suzanneberry said...

outstanding sketch diana and such a wonderful post!!! i love this!! wonderful...off to hear him sing.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

It's so fun to share this incident with you all.

Thank you, Diane, and Suzanne, for taking part!

Karen Bruson said...

So cool. Nice sketch.

Susan said...

What a wonderful story to go with your sketch! So funny to hear him singing in English in that deep Russian voice!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Grigoriy is indeed entertaining with that marvelous voice!