Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Redo

(left) "Sky Light" oil 4"x6"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin

SOLD

Here is a simple little study from a brief glowing moment. This was a plein air piece I did during a paint out a couple of years ago on a day when nearby forest fires pretty much ruined long-distance visability.

The three studies I did that day seemed like failures but this one just needed a little more color and contrast to represent the drama I'd seen.

6 comments:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Hi Diana - I also have small piles of so-so paintings. I keep only the ones I think I may eventually grow into knowing what is wrong.
Both of these have a lovely emotional quality to them.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Julie. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

hmuxo said...

I love Hazy Canyon, Diana! I think we all have "those" piles of paintings we put aside until we figure out what is wrong... I can't imagine your pile being too big. lol

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Hilda, for dropping by. In "those" piles of paintings which need work, there could simply be unfinished pieces on which I've lost momentum.

Or there might be other derelict pieces that seem to possess something worth developing more or changing a little. Some of those I'll look at down the road and either know better how to make them work, or decide they aren't worth spending more time on. Sometimes it's a relief to throw them in the fire or paint over them.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Lol, yes I have those piles too! They menace, beg and wimper. Some to be put out of misery, some to be fixed.... It IS really satisfying when you can "fix" them, these are lovely.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Yes, indeed, Diane! I still have a number of pieces in the corner which have been whining a lot lately.