Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Studies on Black

Here a more drawings: studies of two different models. As you can probably tell, I prefer dramatic lighting. It's especially interesting on the dark background. Using the black paper really forces some concentration.

One has to work backwards from the usual practice of blocking in shapes with the darks. Laying down the lights first to define the form feels quite awkward when one is used to doing shadows first. I'm usually pleased with the results, though.

These studies from life are all drawn in pastel on black canson. Please contact me to purchase them, or others here at my blog.

4 comments:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

The dramatic lighting suits the poses you choose, Diana. You do not uses it just for effect, but to beautifully enhance the way the light falls on the body.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for noticing, Julie!

hmuxo said...

OMGoodness, Diana... these drawings are truly beautiful... Excellent work on the skin tones.
I bought black canson paper awhile back and never used it... You have inspired me to work with it. Again, wonderful work!!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Haha, Hilda. I know all about that... wanting to try out something new and then waiting... and waiting.

I hope you enjoy the black paper. You'll need to use good pigmented pastels. Otherwise, when you spray you will see a loss of your work as the spray will make some colours somewhat transparent.