Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

"Vintage" is Our June Challenge

Our group subject for this month was chosen by guest artist Julie Ford Oliver. I asked Julie to join the group, long-term, but she has too many commitments to do this month after month.

However, she wanted to join in the hoopla, so she is with us as a guest artist!

If you've been following the Challenges you might remember that having fun is one of the goals of this monthly project. Painting something we've never tried before is another objective.

There are many vintage items around my house, as I love old stuff. I've been out of town the past couple of weeks, so when I got back a few days ago I took a quick survey of what I had on hand to paint for The Challenge.

I looked for an idea that fit the vintage subject that would be fun to paint and something I have not tried before. My old iron fit the bill, so I plopped it on my bed and got to work on a fast and loose oil sketch.

(above) "Old Hotness" Oil on canvas panel, unframed, 8"x6" ©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

This particular domestic tool dates from the 1950s and is just like the one I used as a kid when I learned to iron. Back in those days (yes, the "Old Days") men wore cotton shirts to work in the office every day and they had to be starched and ironed. Spray starch came out sometime in the early 1960s, so when I was learning to iron a few years before that, we used regular starch. That stuff came in a box and had to be mixed with water.

Mother made the mixture and dipped Daddy's shirts and other cotton clothes in the liquid and rolled them up in a plastic bag. That was kept in the refrigerator if we didn't get the whole bunch ironed up right away. I earned a nickel a shirt and supplemented my regular allowance that way. Five cents was worth a lot more back then! 

I enjoyed reminiscing about those days as I painted my quick study of the iron. I've been trying to work faster and looser and use more paint (more on that in a later post).

Here are the group's paintings for our vintage theme. I love each one and am delighted to see the variety and whimsy each artist created!

(left) "Brown Betty" Oil, 6"x6"
©2013 Julie Ford Oliver

(below left) "Old Red" Oil on linen, 20"x20"
©2013 Suzanne Berry

(below right) "Absinthe" Pastel, 20"x16"
©2013 V. N. Ross
 

  







13 comments:

hmuxo said...

LOVE this vintage piece, Diana!! Beautifully painted..love how you painted the wire!!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I appreciate that, Hilda. I think the cord (with that recognizable pattern) really helps put the abstracted portrayal in focus.

Ruth Andre said...

Nice Challenge and a fun painting that recalls many an hour ironing. Nice paintings all around.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Yes, Ruth, for me too. Ironing is one of those household chores I actually don't mind, even if I don't get around to it often. The smells of fresh laundry, and seeing instant results make this a relatively satisfying task for something so mundane.

Dean H. said...

Love the energy shown in those strokes, Diana!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks so much, Dean. I really appreciate you dropping by here.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

This brings back memories for sure.I love the color harmony you selected, Diana. Particularly the metal of the iron painted in various tones of neutral colors next to the beautiful shade of mauve. - yummy!
Thanks for asking me to be a guest artist.

suzanneberry said...

I love old hotness!!! Reminds of my moms old iron! Beautifully done!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I appreciate that, Suzanne! Thank you for your encouragement.

VickiRossArt said...

I like Old Hotness, too, Diana. Especially when I 'saw' the iron!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Haha, Vicki... it's a hidden object painting.

Sarah S said...

I love all the paintings here and what a neat idea that you share monthly assignments with other woman artists. So much talent!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks so much, Sarah. It's been fun and encouraging for all of us who have taken part in these Challenges for over four years, now.

Several artists (women AND men) have participated during that time. You can see all of the monthly Challenges at my sidebar.