Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

"Green Lantern Fan" Portrait Study

Original oil
10"x8"

©2011 Diana Moses Botkin

One evening during the Scotchman Peaks Paint Out last month, fellow artist Jared Shear sat while I did an oil sketch. Several of us painters had gathered by the fireplace where we were staying to chat about the paint out, life, and art in general.

Jared mentioned that John Singer Sargent liked his subjects to talk while they posed, which seemed odd to me. Perhaps that explains Sargent's quote? “A portrait is a painting with something wrong with the mouth.”

It took me about 20 minutes to get the basics down on canvas, but after painting most of the day outdoors, sitter and artist both were tired.


So I snapped a couple of photos in case I had time later to add more to the study. The light, barely enough for an old gal like me to paint by, was not great for taking photos either, which turned out a bit blurry. But there was enough of a reminder of details to define features and form a little more. However, it's still more of a sketch than a finished piece.
The photo at left, taken the next day, was snapped by Sandy Compton, Program Coordinator for Friends of Scotchman Peaks Wilderness.

Sandy was also quite a good friend of the artists during the paint out when he brought us meals to keep us all from being starving artists.

8 comments:

suzanneberry said...

lovely portrait diana! great likeness and character!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

That means a lot coming from you, dear Suzanne! Thank you.

mary maxam said...

What a stunner of a portrait! Looks like him and looks as though it was done with ease! The Sargent quote made me laugh! We can all relate :)

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Mary!

I'm most at ease painting people and Jared's angular features practically painted themselves.

That Sargent quote has amused and perplexed me before, but if his subjects talked while modeling, I suppose there might be something wrong with the mouth, even on his paintings. All those mouths on his portraits look good to me, though!

Ruth Andre said...

Great portrait of Jared. You really captured him.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Ruth. I hope Jared thinks so.

Jared Shear said...

Yes, Jared does think so. That looks fantastic Diana. Well done!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm happy to know you think so, Jared. Thanks for dropping by.