Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

September Challenge: Paint it RED!

Challenge Group member Elizabeth Blaylock picked the idea for our September Challenge. She directed us to "do a painting with a red, red violet or red orange color dominance." For the past month I've been thinking about this simple idea and what to do with it. So many choices. I finally settled on painting a small enamel pitcher I bought awhile back (thinking I'd paint it one of these days).

So, Monday was the day. I set up the colorful still life on my patio table outdoors and worked away in the glorious sunshine.

We've had cool, overcast weather lately so to play with bright colors for several hours outside on a warm sunny day did my brain a big favor.

The reflections in the shiny surface of the vessel were especially fun to paint.. so many colors in addition to red.

(left) "Red Pitcher on Blue Cloth"
7"x7"

Oil on canvasboard
©2010 Diana Moses Botkin




(left) "Arrangement on Red" 6x6" Oil on Panel ©2010 Elizabeth Blaylock
(middle) "Red Dance" 8x8 Oil on Paper ©2010
Robin Cheers
(right) "La Basilique du Val de Grace illumine'e la nuit" 14x11" Oil on Panel ©2010 Vicki Ross


(left) "Sultry" 16x16" Oil on Canvas ©2010 Suzanne Berry
(right) "Red Brush" 6x8" Oil on Canvas ©2010 Aaron Cordell Johnson

4 comments:

suzanneberry said...

Diana, I just love the red with the blue tablecloth. The cool sets off the red perfectly and it's beautifully painted, as always. And thank you for your kind comments, it helps to know that an artist of your stature is grappling with the same issue. I love realism too but long for that painterly unfinished quality as well. We'll see!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

We can struggle together on this. So far, I'm resisting the urge to add a little more finish to parts of my red pitcher painting, like that table edge. It's sure tempting, though, to develop it more.

Bother.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

these are fabulous! Inspiring. Love the red.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for dropping by, Mary. Maybe we should all paint with red more!