Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Summer Afternoon at the River" Daily Painting

Original landscape oil painting, 4"x6"
Trees and green fields, with distant mountains and river in foreground.

I enjoyed looking at my summer reference photo to work on this painting. Weather here has been turning cold and grey and there is lots of fresh snow at about 1,000 feet and higher. So I guess summer's gone...sigh. Working on this little piece was the closest I could get to going somewhere warm and sunny, at least for awhile.

This study utilized simplified color choices. I tried to use only 5 tones to represent this scene. It's good for me to think about breaking a study into fewer steps and colors.

©2008 Diana Moses Botkin

8 comments:

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

Ok - this is another nice work but I think you should suffer the cold and show us some snow pieces.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

This must be from Bill?

You're all heart! Come on up here to the edge of earth and you can come along. I promise I'll brave the cold if you will!

Actually, I'm a hot weather person. I figure if God wanted me to paint outside in cold weather, He would've given me a different body type, and better circulation.

Anonymous said...

Diana,
I'm so happy, I just received your book! I can finally see your beautiful work better. I especially like your cloudscapes. Spring Play on page 17 is also lovely.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

That makes me smile to know you are pleased with the book, dear Silvina! "Spring Play" is one of my favorites too! Actually I used many of my favorites in the book, and you can tell I love skies!

Candy Barr said...

How enterprising you are Diana! The series looks fantastic.. side table books instead of coffee table! ;)

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Oh I like that! Side table books!

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

I'll be up there right after I get my thermal long johns for Christmas. Hey I painted in the snow here last year. Absolutely loved having hand too stiff to hold brush.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Yeah boy, it IS so much fun being so cold! I especially like it when not only my hands freeze, but my eyeballs as well.

Let me know what dates you'll be up here and I'll put on the coffee pot. We're going to need it.