Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Solitude" Figurative/Landscape Daily Painting

Original oil painting, figure in landscape, 5"x7"
Beach scene of young woman on colorful towel on the sand, in bright midday sunlight
 
©2008 Diana Moses Botkin

This larger figure in the 5x7" format was a little easier than painting the girl so small as in the previous work. Simplifying the sand and cropping in close put the focus on her rather than all her surroundings. You can tell she's at the beach but it's more background than subject. She's the main focus instead of the setting.

So... what do suppose she's thinking?

10 comments:

Dianne Mize said...

What is she thinking? "Last of the summer wine..."
Nice little painting.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks Dianne. Maybe so!

I was wondering if perhaps she was thinking of what she plans to do next. It's Friday and her hair is all curled like she's headed somewhere looking fine. Or maybe she's had a lunch hour by herself and now it's time to get back to work.. or maybe to pick up that toddler from Grandma's.

Robin Pedrero said...

Oh I do like this one more so too!
Or maybe how wonderfully blessed she is that God created this beautiful world where she can lay on the beach with the sun on her, hear and see the water, the birds and the glorious sky. That is what I think.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I like that Robin. A thankful heart for all God has given us day to day is the right perspective. Thank you for the good reminder.

Appreciating the simple wonders and miracles in our lives is blessing indeed and would be inspiration for wonderful paintings.

Anonymous said...

This is very nice Dianne!
Such detail you've captured.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks LC. I actually simplified most of the detail in the background to keep it from being too busy. Even in the towel and figure, which were my focus, I tried to avoid getting fussy.

Although I do love realism and detail, I'm trying to loosen up so it is indeed a battle for me to not include a lot of detail!

Don Gray said...

Great job of foreshortening and handling the subtle muscle planes...and on such a small scale!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you Don. Yes it IS crazy painting small like this. It does, however, force me to simplify.

Delilah said...

Love the relaxed look you have created here

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Delilah. I appreciate you dropping by.